Match Reports

5th April 1999

Tetley Walker 1 - 3 Warrington Town

Town's (small) army of regular supporters made the trip across Warrington for this local derby in which their team underlined their supremacy over their neighbours by completing a double in the league over their rivals this season.

With only 9 minutes on the clock Town's runaway top-scorer Damien Whitehead tapped in an easy goal after great work by his partner in crime Kevin Tyrell. The home defence were left appealing for offside after Tyrell chased a long ball, knocked it beyond Lee Medland in the Tetley goal to the lurking Damo who gratefully accepted his 45th goal of the season.

Tetley's passing was wayward to say the least throughout the first half and the Warrington forwards were taking advantage, looking dangerous on the break as Ian Callaghan in midfield sprayed some good passes around. Damo and another young Town attacker, Paul Berry, were working hard and the man Whitehead was unlucky with a cross/shot that hit the side netting.

The next thing Tetley did was to put Town further in front as Steve Roberts headed a fine own goal from a right-sided cross, under pressure from Damo. Keeper Lee Medland came agonisingly close to pushing it over the bar.

Tetley's only threat on Thommo's goal was a looping header that hit the bar, but Town answered back by coming very close as Tyrell set Damo clear but Medland came off his line well to smother the threat at Damo's feet. Damo's chances to put Town further in front continued as a header flew over and a bobble on the pitch prevented him from making decent contact with a shot just a few minutes later.

twaction.jpg (3986 bytes)

The man Whitehead has scored so many goals this season that people have started to lose count. According to the Pieman, the League have credited him with one more than they should have done due to a mix up in the game against Bacup. He's scored twice as many as his nearest rival in the League's top scorer table. Here at Yellows, we reckon that he'll be the runaway winner in the fans' player of the season award. (Voting takes place at Town's final home game of the season on 17th April against Bacup).

The start of the second half saw Town attacking again and some good work by Paul Anderton on the left set up Kevin Tyrell whose shot was unfortunately directed straight at Medland. Terry Nestor was the next to come close for Town. His header from a free kick won and taken by Ando going inches past the right hand upright. Then Tetley scored.

Town needed to step up a gear and did so as Damo again shot low but straight at the 'keeper with about 20 minutes left on the clock. The breakthrough came just two minutes later, and it came with one of Town's goals of the season.

A great low ball from midfield towards Damo, lurking on the left hand side, level with the edge of the box, started the move. Meanwhile Kevin Tyrell had run outside Damo and beyond the last defenders. Damo cunningly dummied to run but stepped over the ball, leaving it for Kev before moving off towards the centre of the box while the defence shouted offside. As Damo hadn't touched the ball, the pass from midfield found its way through to Kev onside, who controlled the ball and pulled it back for Damo. Meeting it perfectly, Damo shot home a spectacular first-time bullet drive into the net leaving Medland no chance and the Town fans cheering ecstatically. Tetley were undone.

Damo was at it again five minutes later as he set himself completely clear of the Tetley Defence and was away for his hat trick, closing down on the Tetley goal. He was leaving the defence for dead but was blatantly felled from behind by the no. 4 Neil Maher. The Tetley player was immediately ordered to leave the field and rightly so as referee Mr. Shaw was left with no option but to show him a red card for the professional foul.

With just a few minutes left Kevin Tyrell and Ando were replaced by Gavin McDonald and Neil Holden. Town now had three forwards on the pitch and the crowd were baying for more goals. Unfortunately Gavin hardly got a touch and Holden hardly performed to increase his chances of a regular first team slot by squandering a couple of chances, but it didn't matter as the full time whistle blew just a few minutes later.

twcelebrate.jpg (14887 bytes)


Alan Hansen says: Well for a change am nae goonae be goin' oan aboot Town's defence.  Tha oon goal was shoakin', eh?  Aye, Toon are now clearly top team in Warrington.