Match Report

17th August 1999

Warrington Town 5 - 0 Daisy Hill    Due to technical difficulties, there are unfortunately no photos of this game.

Town evidently didn't take long to shake off the jitters which so obviously plagued them on Saturday. As the scoreline suggests, a thoroughly convincing performance and some great finishing meant Town ran in having completely overwhelmed a slack Daisy Hill side.

Town began to perform from the start, forcing some good saves from Chris Morris, the Daisy Hill keeper, after some sweet passing manouveres. Terry Nestor played a stormer throughout and was instrumental in midfield, feeding the strikers very well alongside Gavin McDonald. On 15 minutes, the breakthrough was made. A well taken corner was flicked on at the near post, meaning that the keeper could only get half a finger to it before Lee Holden slammed home from 8 yards.

The next came on 39 minutes, when Gavin McDonald was bundled to the floor on the right in the area. The ref took a quick look at the madly waving flag of the linesman before pointing to the spot. Chris Lee took the kick hard to the keeper's left. The keeper could only get fingers to it and the ball powered into the goal. The half time whistle blew minutes later.

A corner after half time brought more joy to Town, when again a flicked on corner was not cleared. Terry Nestor picked up the loose ball, swiveled and released Chris Lee. The cross was made and confidently headed in by Lee Holden for his second of the night. Just minutes later, Town were denied another penalty when the ref was behind the game during a Town attack. A run into the box was halted by a sliding defender who then used his hand to scoop the ball under control.

Justice was done however, as Town's fourth was again a penalty. Despite Town having played on to score, the ref blew up and stopped play for the spot kick - a mis-timed sliding tackle the foul committed. This time Chris Lee shot the other way, completely fooling the keeper, who was left standing.

Town pressed for more, Terry Nestor again showing great skills in midfield to release Gavin McDonald shortly before his substitution to win a corner, but nothing was made of it. More organisation went into the next corner however, as it swung in to meet Lee Holden's forehead before being directed into the far post with a swerving header. Lee Holden the hat trick hero was also substituted minutes later, to great applause from the Town fans. A great Town performance.


Alan Hansen says: Aye weeell I meeeen les jes hoop thi cen keeeeep it oooopf or thi reeest oof the seeason. I tell yeh, if thi can theeen theree's nooo daynger o them noot missin ooot on promootion this yeeer.

Warrington Guardian report:


THERE is life in front of goal after Damien Whitehead - but from an unexpected source!  Midfielder Lee Holden, in his second spell with Town after signing in close season from Tetley Walker, banged in a hat-trick to steer Town to their first win of the season in First North Western Trains League Division Two.  They were his first goals at this level for Town and were expertly tucked away. The first, in the 17th minute, was a scorching volley after Robbie Preidt flicked on a corner. The other two, after 51 and 77 minutes, came from his head.

Chris Lee, another player in his second stint at Cantilever Park, drilled home penalty goals imbetween but the star of the show was Terry Nestor.  The midfielder, the players' player of the year last term, made his first appearance of the season. He took the game by the scruff of its neck and was the constant go-between as chance after chance was carved out for the front men.  New striker Jed Bushell worked his socks off for his teammates while skipper Andy Tague looked sharp, hungry and in control throughout.

Town were rarely troubled at the back although goalkeeper Paul Knights was beaten by Gary Cunliffe's looping header and needed the crossbar to save him.   All in all an impressive night's work from Town with regulars Mark Ashton, Alan Thompson, Ian Callaghan, Kevin Tyrell and Steve Cartledge missing from the line-up.

Town: Paul Knights, Andy Tague, Alan Blair, Terry Nestor, Mike Tandy, Lee Holden, Gavin McDonald, Dave Pick, Jed Bushell, Robbie Preidt, Chris Lee. Subs: Andy Harris, Ian Bold, Martin Caldwell