Moment of the Match

Saturday 10th October Warrington Town 0 - 1 Fleetwood Freeport

Report from the Warrington Guardian

IT looked like boys against men when a young Town side took to the field against towering Fleetwood.

But the resurgent Town were in no mood for surrender against the team lying third in the North Western Trains Division Two. The teenage triumvirate of Paul Berry, James Ward and Damien Whitehead were in excellent form as the club put behind them the early season trauma of losing coach Dave Jackson and seven players. Team spirit is clearly on the rise as returning coach Dave Hughes knits his young charges into an effective unit.

Both sides had plenty of scoring opportunities in an open, flowing game, but only Town's Andy Tague was clinical enough to finish. Tague's opportunistic strike came on 18 minutes when Fleetwood 'keeper Stuart Barton could only parry a shot from Whitehead. Ritchie Hoyle had squandered two simple chances for Fleetwood earlier in the game and the home fans sighed with relief when David Butler's 25 yard shot ricochet back off the post in the closing stages of the first half. Whitehead and Kevin Dack both went close for Town before the break but without success. Dack had a great chance to give Town some breathing space when he was left with only the 'keeper to beat shortly after the break but he fired wide.

There then followed a steady stream of bookings as referee C. Jones decided to get tough on minor infringements. Ian Bold and Ward went in the book from Town and five Fleetwood players were also shown the yellow card before Hoyle and Mark Hughes were ordered off late on. Town 'keeper Alan Thomson pulled off a fine save from John Oliver and Chris Hunt cleared off the line as they hung on tenaciously. Barton pulled off two excellent saves to twice deny Berry and Dack hit the post as the score stubbornly remained 1-0.

Team: Alan Thomson, Chris Hunt, Steve Cartledge, Terry Nestor, Ian Hughes, Paul Berry, James Ward, Ian Bold, Damien Whitehead, Kevin Dack, Andy Tague.