Moment of the match

24th October 1998 - Warrington Town 2 - 3 Vauxhall GM

Muddy Misery

Unfortunately due to the amazingly muddy conditions in which this match took place, 3D images of the highlights are not available. You'll just have to imagine it for yourself....

It's one nil to Vauxhall GM after they scored with a shot to Paul Knights' right. The ball is in the Vauxhall half and after a low drive, the Vauxhall 'keeper spills it.....

The ball bobbles wildly around the unbelievably muddy and bobbly goalmouth and lands at the feet of Kevin Tyrell.....

In one swift motion he strikes the ball sweetly and fires it into the net in front of the Bridge End.

Town went 2-1 down after some defensive errors, and then 3-1 down to a spectacular long-range volley from the Vauxhall striker. Clawing only one goal back towards the end,Town lost 3-2.

Alan Hansen says: Ay weeell ye know, twas a leetle beet moody a Cantilever Par todae an so I cannae expect the trusty Town to do aes well now cannae eh, coos the sweeet sleek passin just doesna work in these conditieeeoooons does i'?


Warrington Town 2 Vauxhall GM 3

TOWN fell at the first hurdle in the North Western Trains League Challenge Cup despite a plucky performance against Vauxhall GM. The visitors failed to show the kind of form that made them runners-up in this competition last year but two goals in six slapdash minutes proved enough to carry them through.

Town took to the soggy conditions at Cantilever Park quicker than Vauxhall and were looking strong as Damien Whitehead had a shot tipped round the post and Ian Bold's header was cleared off the line. However, it was Vauxhall who took the lead when Nicky Young's header found Carl Spellman waiting to nod it over Paul Knights in the Town goal. Kevin Odger thought he had increased the visitors' lead on 26 minutes when his header hit the post and rolled along the line. However, the linesman thought otherwise and Town were still in it. Their hard work in midfield finally paid off after 36 minutes when the Vauxhall 'keeper could only parry a low shot from Andy Tague and Kevin Tyrell darted in to slot home. It must have been a sweet moment for Tyrell after winning his place in the side due to Kevin Dack's departure back to Tetley Walker. Bold missed a simple chance shortly before the break and Town were looking full of confidence.

The deadlock was broken in the most unfortunate manner on 57 minutes when Ian Hughes' clearance cannoned off Terry Nestor and Vauxhall's Kevin Thomson lashed in the loose ball. Town were still reeling at their misfortune when Young crashed home a superb volley from 25 yards six minutes later. There was no sign of surrender from Town, however, and a fine run on the right wing by Paul Berry set up Whitehead to pull it back to 3-2 with 13 minutes left.

Both sides had chances towards the end but a lack of quality finishing left the score in Vauxhall's favour.

Team: Paul Knights, Jerry Coll, Steve Cartledge, Ian Hughes, Terry Nestor, James Ward, Paul Berry, Andy Tague, Kevin Tyrell, Damien Whitehead, Ian Bold. Subs: Tony Stockton, Paul Anderton, Tony Snagg.